An 18-player under 15 Emirati squad will represent the UAE between September 16th and 18th at Kition Athletic Center Larnaca in Cyprus
Abu Dhabi, UAE, September 16 2016 – For the very first time, the UAE Jiu-Jitsu national team will be participating at the Balkan Open Championship which will be held at the Kition Athletic Center Larnaca in Cyrpus between 16 – 18 September 2016. The delegation which included an 18-player U-15 squad and team leader Yousef Al Blooshi alongside the team’s coaches and referees, travelled this morning to Cyprus, to prepare for the impending championship where Jiu-Jitsu players from all over the world will converge under one roof.
Held over a period of 3 exciting days, the tournament marks one of the most important sporting spectacles for the Jiu-Jitsu globally and will consist of 3 age categories (U-12, U-18 and U-21) and varying weight categories. The UAE delegation will participate in the Under 15 categories with 2 – 3 players in every weight category.
At the end of the tournament trophies will be awarded to the top three national teams along with medals for the top three players in each category. Special trophies will also be awarded during the closing ceremony of the championship at the discretion of the International Jiu-Jitsu Federation.
Commenting on the U-15 national team’s participation, H.E Abdul Moneim Al Hashemi, Chairman of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation said: “Participating in global Jiu-Jitsu championships such as the Balkan Open offers our talented players an opportunity to showcase their skills in a competitive arena and also learn from their peers representing other countries. We are confident that our national team will demonstrate their high skill level and supreme professionalism and will make their country proud yet again. On behalf of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation, I would like to wish them the very best of luck for the tournament”.
The U-15 UAE national team consists of:
- Omar Al Suwaidi [-34 kg category]
- Suhail Al Nuaimi [-34 kg category]
- Hamdan Al Nuaimi [-37 kg category]
- Abdul Rahman Haidara [-41 kg category]
- Khaled Mohammed Al Shehhi [-41 kg category]
- Matar Salem Al Dhaheri [-45 kg category]
- Mohammed Khaled Al Kaabi [-45 kg category]
- Abdul Rahman Al Blooshi [-50 kg category]
- Mohammed Alassri Al Mansoori [-50 kg category]
- Abdulla Ahmed Al Dhaheri [-55 kg category]
- Ali Fawaz Abdulhamid [-55 kg category]
- Saif Jasem Al Mansoori [-55 kg category]
- Hazaa Saeed Al Khadouri [-60 kg category]
- Mohammed Ali Al Kaabi [-60 kg category]
- Sultan Khamis Alameri [-66 kg category]
- Salem Mubarak Zayed [+66 kg category]
- Obaid Salem Al Shamsi [+66 kg category]
- Mohammed Jasem Al Mansoori [+66 kg category]
Broadcasted live on Abu Dhabi Sports Channel, The tournament is an event that highlights the UAE Jiu-jitsu Federation’s growing profile as the facilitator for international sport, and Abu Dhabi’s position as the world capital for the martial art.
About UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation
With the support and guidance of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation was established in November 2012 as the official authority for Jiu-Jitsu in the UAE.
The Federation plays a leading role in supporting Jiu-Jitsu and contributing to building a strong generation of UAE athletes to excel at the local and international levels. The Federation’s role is to implement policies that develop the sport in collaboration with various government entities, educational institutions and other partners in order to advance the sport locally, regionally and globally.