PALÁCIO TANGARÁ, A REVIVAL OF THE 40’S GLAMOUR AND ELEGANCE
October 26, 2016 – In the late 40’s the extraordinarily wealthy Brazilian, ‘Baby Pignatari’, in one magnificently romantic gesture, built Tangará Ranch for his beautiful wife Nelita Alves de Lima. He chose a peaceful place, amidst the tropically verdant nature, even then a fresh contrast to the fast growing Sao Paulo’s centre. As son of the Countess of Matarazzo, Baby had inherited one of Brazil’s largest fortunes so without hesitation he commissioned Brazil’s world leading creative talents: architect, Oscar Niemeyer and Roberto Burle Marx himself, to landscape the gardens. He committed to the Tangará project with all his heartfelt passion. The private residence was a “avant-garde” concept for this time with very low impact on the surrounding nature. Besides that modern facilities such as a private screen movie theatre, two swimming pools, one being indoor and heated covered by a dome designed and commissioned by Italian architect Pier Luigi Nervi.
As the decade turned into the fifties, São Paulo was emerging as a modern metropolis and Brazil was influencing the culture of the world with Bossa Nova’s smooth lilting sounds, abstract art at the first biennale outside Venice, and Oscar Niemeyer’s architecture; meanwhile Baby Pignatari’s marriage died, along with the original plans for Tangará Ranch. The property remained untouched for several years until the 1990s when the residence was demolished. The works on the garden side of the house however were preserved and Burle Marx finished the project, which was incorporated into the formed public park after the approval of the subdivision of the property.
In 1995, the building owning company built in the park the Tangara Hotel and Spa Palace, a true neoclassical pastiche; as the group itself released it, “a classic architecture and luxurious, rescuing the standards of the finest hotels in the world”. The construction was halted in 2001 due to lack of funding and resulting legal disputes between the original investors. The hotel never saw the light of the day.
Palácio Tangará opens for halcyon days of pleasure reminiscent of its elegant fifties history, with a touch of contemporary consciousness of course; embracing the refreshing surroundings, offering the fine services of a Sisley spa and the zesty cuisine of Jean Georges Vongerichten.
We invite the world’s travellers to make their own romantic gestures, staying in Palácio Tangará for rest and recreation while discovering Sao Paulo’s pace and different rhythms.
A new Masterpiece hotel from Oetker Collection will open its doors in the second quarter of 2017. The property will offer 141 guestrooms – including 59 suites – overlooking the rich flora and fauna of Burle Marx Park. There are nine event spaces for the most glamorous weddings and events, including a ballroom for up to 530 guests with terraces overlooking the park.
ABOUT OETKER COLLECTION
Oetker Collection is one of the most inspiring selections of masterpiece hotels in the world. The name ‘masterpiece hotels’ includes a pledge; a commitment to provide service of the highest quality, every hour of every day. The pearl as a symbol combines singularity, beauty and quality. The individual pearls bind together to form a unique string of pearls.
Each property is one-of-a-kind, reflecting the unique European heritage and sharing the highest levels of service internationally with exceptional and historic architecture & interiors combining with great attention to detail.
Oetker Collection embraces nine luxury hotels:
- L’Apogée Courchevel – a luxury chalet with a warm and family atmosphere offering the most desirable skiing experience at the top of Courchevel 1850 in the French Alps.
- Brenners Park-Hotel & Spa – an iconic grand hotel, amidst a sprawling private park in Baden-Baden, Germany. The historic Villa Stéphanie now offers Europe’s most refined and innovative spa experience.
- Le Bristol Paris – an authentic vibrant French palace completely refurbished, the ultimate reference for Parisian art-de-vivre, ideally located on the prestigious rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.
- Château Saint-Martin & Spa – a romantic property of excellence nestled in the heart of the French Riviera, boasting breathtaking views over the Mediterranean coastline.
- Eden Rock – St Barths – a luxurious retreat in St Barths built on a rocky promontory, surrounded by white sandy beaches, and turquoise sea; French art-de-vivre in the heart of the Caribbean.
- Fregate Island Private – a jewel of conservation featuring lush forest, wild fauna, and overlooking the crystal waters of the Seychelles. Unique on the Planet.
- Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc – a legendary luxury hotel at the centre of a scenic private park, where old-world glamour meets modern luxury at the tip of the Cap d’Antibes.
- The Lanesborough – classically British service in a remarkably vibrant and elegant London residence.
- Palácio Tangará – with an exceptional location in the heart of a tropical park, Palácio Tangará São Paulo will open its doors in the second quarter 2017.
More information: www.oetkercollection.com