- Land Rover Discovery Sport named Compact Premium SUV of the Year
- Range Rover Evoque also nominated in the Compact Premium SUV category
Jaguar Land Rover secured one of the most coveted prizes from this year’s Middle East Car of the Year Awards (MECOTY) as the Land Rover Discovery Sport was named Compact Premium SUV of the Year.
The prestigious annual showcase – now in its seventh year – celebrates the region’s automotive industry, spotlighting the excellence of thebest vehicles to grace the showrooms of the Middle East’s car dealerships.
Jaguar Land Rover’s Range Rover Evoque also garnered an honourable mention as one of the top-performing vehicles in the same category.
Initially scheduled to take place on Monday 30 March, the 2020 MECOTY Awards ceremony has been indefinitely postponed in light of the social distancing measures put in place across the region. This has led MECOTY organisers to expedite the announcement of the 2020 award winners and name the recipients of the popular showcase’s top prizes earlier than anticipated.
Handpicked to represent ten Middle East countries, the MECOTY jury – comprised of the most qualified and experienced motoring journalists – is tasked with identifying the region’s most exceptional cars. Each juror is instructed to evaluate nominated and shortlisted vehicles, appraising each entrant for the quality of the consumer experience they provide.
Salman Sultan – PR and Social Media Manager of Jaguar Land Rover Middle East and North Africa – stated: “We are delighted by our success at this year’s MECOTY Awards. Such accolades attest to the quality of Jaguar Land Rover’s vehicle line up and, more importantly, the unparalleled motoring experience our models provide for the brand’s discerning customers. We are extremely proud of the time and effort our team has put into crafting our cars, particularly as we do so with the comfort and satisfaction of our customers firmly in mind.”
Bruce Robertson – Managing Director of Jaguar Land Rover Middle East and North Africa – added: “The significance of the MECOTY Awards cannot be understated. Based on the wisdom and insights of some of the region’s finest motoring minds, events such as MECOTY truly are markers of our success. They drive home just how far we have come, and spur us on to take even greater strides.”
He continued: “The commendations given to the Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque are a testament to our values and belief in placing the needs of our customers at the heart of everything we do. They – the people we serve – are the engines that keep Jaguar Land Rover running.”
Land Rover Discovery Sport – Compact Premium SUV of the Year
The newest member of the Discovery family, the Discovery Sport – the latest in a proud, long line of versatile cutting-edge SUVs – is the most capable vehicle of its kind. Pushing the boundaries of the premium compact SUV sector, the Discovery Sport is more technologically advanced than ever, boasting an enhanced exterior design perfectly complemented by a transformed interior.
Its new Premium Transverse Architecture (PTA) accommodates efficient new electrified engines, including a 48-volt mild hybrid to help reduce emissions and fuel consumption. The new body is 13 per cent stiffer than its predecessor, with rigidly-mounted subframes that reduce noise and vibration intrusion into the cabin, improving comfort and providing maximum safety.
These enhancements have ensured the fastest-selling Land Rover ever produced, with its new infotainment interface – comprising the latest connectivity – and more flexible seating arrangements distinguishing the model as one of the safest and most comfortable SUVs ever made.
Range Rover Evoque – Compact Premium SUV of the Year (Shortlisted)
The award-winning Range Rover Evoque – voted Best SUV/Crossover at the 2019 Women’s World Car of the Year award – channels the style and spirit of its predecessor. The original luxury city SUV, the model is built on Land Rover’s new Premium Transverse Architecture, combining unrivalled Range Rover heritage with the most advanced technology.
The acclaimed Evoque features hybrid-electric powertrains, efficient three-cylinder Ingenium engines and innovative natural and recycled materials. It enjoys the distinction of being the first luxury compact SUV to be certified under stringent new NOx emissions targets, Real Driving Emissions stage 2 (RDE2), and has also been awarded a maximum five-star Euro NCAP safety rating. Securing over 200 further international awards since its debut, the Range Rover Evoque has cemented its status as one of the most refined, capable, and safe luxury compact SUVs on the market.
About Jaguar Land Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover is the UK’s largest automotive manufacturer, built around two iconic British car brands. Land Rover, the world’s leading manufacturer of premium all-wheel-drive vehicles; and Jaguar, one of the world’s premier luxury sports saloon and sports car marques.
- At Jaguar Land Rover we are driven by a desire to deliver class leading vehicles, which will provide experiences our customers will love, for life. Our products are in demand around the globe. In 2019 Jaguar Land Rover sold 557,706 vehicles in 127
- We support around 260,000 people through our retailer network, suppliers and local businesses. At heart we are a British company, with two major design and engineering sites, three vehicle manufacturing facilities, an Engine Manufacturing Centre and soon to be opened Battery Assembly Centre. We also have vehicle plants in China, Brazil, India, Austria and Slovakia. We have seven technology hubs. In the UK these are based in Manchester, Warwick (NAIC) and London. Globally these are located in Shannon, Ireland, Portland, USA, Budapest, Hungary and Changshu, China.
- We have a growing portfolio of electrified products across our model range, embracing fully electric, plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid vehicles, as well as continuing to offer the latest diesel and petrol engines. All new Jaguar and Land Rover Vehicle models offer the option of electrification, giving our customers even more choice.
- Based in Dubai, Jaguar Land Rover MENA is responsible for the provision of region-wide support to 18 markets and 44 dealerships, with strategic actions planned to further strengthen the regional dealer network MENA office supports.
- Engineering Vehicle Testing Centre operates in Dubai, with a dedicated Jaguar Land Rover Training Academy that is the first of its kind in the region.
- A dedicated Jaguar Land Rover parts distribution centre is open in Jebel Ali Free Zone to service the entire region.